Union Street Fire House was built in 1923 as one bay facility. At that time, the Town of Windsor was run by the Fire District, which was incorporated by State Statute in 1915. At that time the district took care of public services, such as sidewalks, sewer and water. This ended as the Town grew and incorporated in its own right in July 1930 as a part of the Hartford Metropolitan District Incorporation, with a population at that time of 8294! The building was expanded to 2 fire truck bays with an addition in the back to house for the Police Department creating Windsor's first Public Safety complex. Both the Fire and Police Departments were there until the 1970's when they moved into their present location on Bloomfield Ave. Once vacated by the Fire and Police Departments the building was used by Windsor Volunteer Ambulance, then the Town was allowed use of the building for various departments until 2001 when the Fire District which still owns the building opted to lease the building to a commercial tenant for income producing purposes. The building is currently occupied by Union Street Tavern! The population of Windsor is now nearly 29,000!