A formal Catholic Church did not exist in Windsor until November 1865 when the church bought the former house of worship of the Episcopalians. This building was on the site directly behind the present church. From 1865 to 1892 St. Gabriel's and St. Joseph's were missions of St. Mary's parish in Windsor Locks. When St. Joseph's was made a full fledge parish in 1892, St. Gabriel's became a mission of St. Joseph's and remained so until 1921 when St. Gabriel's became an independent parish. The old St. Gabriel's was demolished and the beautiful new church was completed in 1915.
Saint Gabriel Parish strives to provide Christian witness and service to the town of Windsor through worship, education, concern for the sick and elderly and whatever other way it may be called upon to give assistance.